Kheyti – Making the small farmer a smart farmer3 years ago Shalini B
Agriculture is the principal source of livelihood for a majority of Indian population and the history of agriculture in our country dates back to the Rigveda. Today, worldwide, India ranks second in farm output and agriculture and allied sectors contributed for 13.7% of the GDP in 2013 and constitute about 50% of the workforce
Even today with India witnessing immense growth and development in the areas of technology and IT, there is still a lot of innovation to be witnessed in the agriculture and allied sectors. Farmer suicides has been an important issue plaguing the country and according to a report by Daily Mail, every 30 minutes an Indian farmer commits suicide. Farmers are the people who are greatly affected by any changes in the Government, industries, foreign exchange or even the climate.
The agricultural sector is the one that needs constant investment of hard work and innovation, and also are the ones who are most prone to losing money due to high agricultural costs and failure of crops due to various reasons. When this struck in the minds of 2 entrepreneurs – Sathya and Ayush, they decided to find a solution to these problems that farmers face. This gave birth to Kheyti – an agri tech startup offering a smart solution to high agricultural costing. The team at Kheyti designs and implements affordable and end to end farming solutions that help farmers increase yield and predictability of produce and offer farmers a seamless path towards income increase.
The farmers are benefited with a lot of services all thanks to Kheyti. They receive benefits that include –
- Modular farming solutions at affordable prices
- End – to – end services provided at their doorsteps
- Internet and e- enables services at the comfort of the farmers
- Improved quality of crop yield increasing the overall profit of the farmers
Today, Kheyti is a team of 5 dedicated team members including 2 co-founders and 3 other members with strong entrepreneurial backgrounds. The team consists of –
- Sathya – Co-founder, having 4 years experience of working with farmers
- Kaushik – Having 6 years of experience in skill development training
- Akhil – Having 4 years of working with early stage companies
- Saumya – Co-founder of YellowLeaf, having 4 years experience in educational sector
- Ayush – Co – founder, having 4 years of experience in managing agricultural operations
Since the inception of Kheyti, it has been growing in its services as more and more people are accepting this with open arms. Recently, the startup also won the People’s Choice Award at the Wharton India Startup Competition 2015 in Mumbai and bagged a prize money of $5000.
Kudos to the entire team and a salute to the co-founders of this amazing startup which is helping the most ignored sector in our nation.