- 2 day Smart Cities IoT hackathon witnessed over 100 participants involving citizens, engineers, designers, developers, urban researchers, technology architects, and data scientists.
- Around 20 solutions to build smarter cities were developed for handling civic issues, traffic management, parking issues, emergency services, waste management out of which best ones will be showcased during XI Metropolis Congress.
Hyderabad October 5, 2014: HYSEA in association with TASK, Pisutra Labs and Hyderabad Hackers today concluded its 2 day collaborative event, Smart Cities IoT Devthon for Metropolis, at the ESCI Design & Prototyping Center. This was first in a series of aligned, coordinated and amplified set of hacking events. Devthon is a platform to develop and prototype on possible technologies towards creation of smarter cities for a better living. The best solutions will be presented before the delegates during XI Metropolis World Congress to be held between October 6th and 10th in Hyderabad.
During Devthon there was a collaboration of a diverse group of individuals consisting of engineers, designers, developers, urban researchers, technology architects, data scientists, citizens and the government amongst others. Industry experts from varied fields provided support and assistance to the participants with their ideas and the problem. The event provided a ‘Hack Shop’ where individuals picked up sensors, hardware devices, electronics and a 3D printer to prototype ideas for better cities.
The final jury comprised of Professor Vasudeva Varma, Dean (Research), IIIT Hyderabad, Entrepreneur Ashhar Farhan and Karuna Gopal, President, Foundation for Futuristic Cities, and Dr U Chandrasekhar, Director, Engineering Staff College of India.
Among the solutions worked upon were,
- Automatic Accident Detection and Rescue System is a hardware solution for vehicles that triggers a message upon an accident and contacts medical emergencies.
- Crowdsourced automated road quality reportage analyzes movements of a commuter’s mobile and reports bad road conditions
- Navigation system for visually disabled using voice based instructions and open maps
- Platform for citizens to highlight city civic issues that forces action from the city administration
- Smart Bins that decrease the amount of carbon footprint through gamification
- A traffic challan crowdsourcing system
The areas of solutions were around Traffic density based automated lights, Detect, notify and alerts of damaged road surfaces, Empower citizens with civic and urban support systems using data sets, Improving pedestrian safety and enabling a walk-friendly city, Helping emergency vehicles avoid traffic to save lives, Geo-based road repairs inspection tool to name a few.
Devthon co-founder Prashant Venkatasubban said, “We’re excited Hysea and TASK have come together to partner the 14th edition of Devthon for the Metropolis Congress. I do believe such synergies are crucial to nurture the innovation ecosystem in the region.”
On the occasion Mr. Ramesh Loganathan, President – HYSEA and Managing Director – Progress Software said, “During this event many IT enthusiast groups and organisations like Startup Weekend, Hacker Mania, Start-Up Hyderabad, Weekend Ventures, Angel Hack, Coding Saturdays came together. The skills utilized in Devthon are majorly sought after by tech product companies and start-ups. We are excited to see the response of the participants and the interesting solutions to make like better for the citizens.”
The winners will receive INR 1 Lac and opportunity to showcase at the XI Metropolis World Congress 2014. The event is supported by ESCI Design & Prototyping Centre, Startup weekend, fests.info, Start-Up Hyderabad, imgeek, Eat Street Drink Startups and The August Fest.
About HYSEA (Hyderabad Software Enterprises Association)
HYSEA (Formerly ITsAP) is a registered apex body with more than 300 members representing the software industry in Hyderabad. It is a not for profit organization whose vision is ‘To Position Hyderabad as the leading intellectual capital of the world, by nurturing entrepreneurship, research and innovation, to achieve global excellence in IT products and services’. HYSEA works very closely with the Government, STPI – Hyderabad and with various industry bodies like NASSCOM, FICCI, CII, TiE, AMCHAM, IACC, FAPCCI, etc.and acts as a catalyst to promote the growth of the IT & ITES industry in the Hyderabad.
About TASK (Telangana Academy for Skill and Knowledge)
TASK is a society of the Government of Telangana for enhancing the Skills and Knowledge of the Engineering and the Traditional Degree graduates of the state of Telangana for cultivating a culture of Research, enhancing the entrepreneurial spirit and the overall standards of Education. The objective of TASK is to create an enabling environment and it works in coordination with the Industry, the Academia and the Government.